School is almost out and summer is almost in and what better way to say thank you to Teacher, than with a handmade thank you token.
We were hard at work in the kitchen this weekend making ours. They are very simple to do and we did not have to go to the shop. We had everything in the cupboard….. even better.
This is how the final pieces looked – MT was very happy with the outcome and can’t wait to deliver them on the last day of school. These are also a great activity for during the summer holidays.
Want to have a go?
You will need:
2 cups plain flour (plus a little extra for rolling the dough)
1 cup salt
1 cup water
skewer for making a hole
ribbon / twine / straw twine
1. Heat the oven to approx 180 degrees (you know your own oven best)
2. Mix flour and salt together and then add water kneading with your hands. Get the little ones to get fully involved during this step as it really builds up the strength in those tiny fingers and hands.
3. Next, sprinkle flour onto a flat surface and roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/4 inch.
4. Choose which cookie cutter shapes you want to use and create shapes placing them onto a baking sheet.
5. Pierce a hole using a skewer (or similar) in each decoration and place them in the oven. (we ink stamped some of ours prior to baking and we painted the remainder after they were baked -see pic below)
6. Bake for approx 30 minutes (size dependent). Remove and leave to stand and cool.
7. When cool, paint and place ribbon through each hole to make the ornament combination you want.
8. Initial and date the back so that the receiver will always remember!
Also a nice idea as a party token rather than a bag of sugar 😉 I can hear the jeers already….party pooper!